Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Shor's "Socialization"

Ira Shor writes in his article about the hidden and unseen politics surrounding the American classroom. Although it has taken some rereading to comprehend, this article speaks clearly on the all-to-obvious social politics which oversee each and every classroom.

#1. I love starting a good conversation concerning the "status quo", and the messing with it. Personally, I love stirring up trouble with the status quo of things. Keeping a perfect flow, for one, prevents all and any progress from being made. Shor writes about teachers who go above and beyond the "norm" with creative and critical projects and assignments, in order to fully reach out to their students. I think that this is a prime example of what needs to be done more often in order to expand the social and intellectual horizons of many students. Those students who are forced to follow the "status quo" and deal with non-unique forms of learning are bound to be scarred both mentally and socially. I really enjoy how Shor mentions "teacher talk" and "student talk." Even to myself, it is an often overlooked antic of many classrooms.

#2. On page 17, Shor discusses the necessary "agenda" in order to maintain an "empowering pedagogy" on America's students. While I agree with most of the steps taken, I am unsure as to whether or not i agree on the "dis-socialization" aspect of the agenda. While it would be great for social classes and inferiority to be dropped (an almost communist idea) it is nearly impossible for this to occur without severe consequence. Something I've learned on my own, is to not fall into stereotypes and land somewhere in the social area of a classroom, (geek, snob, teachers pet, etc.) but rather attempt to create a duel identity that can be used in and out of the classroom which allows for both educational and social happiness at once. Finding one's identity and placement in the classroom is never easy. Regardless, dropping imbalanced ideas (cultural ism, racism, etc.) are some of the necessary steps in order to maintain a more balanced social identity.

#3. Honestly, for my third point, I am unsure as to whether or not I want to go on too much further without making sure that I have grasped the right ideas from this article, as we discuss them in class. As far as I've gotten, dropping forms of social titling is the most effective form of creating an equal, stable, comfortable learning environment. I feel as though I am missing something from this...? (I will edit this as I check if I have analyzed this right)

No comments:

Post a Comment